Monday, March 5, 2012

A trip home

It has been awhile since I posted on the blog.  It is not because I am not doing anything.  Au contraire, I just returned to DK after a 2 week visit back to Seattle, Bellingham and Bainbridge to get a grandkid fix, see Meredith's baby bump and go maternity clothes shopping with her and have my mom (almost 90) visit the West Coast family.  It was a busy time!!!!   Clementine and Cooper are fantastic.  And always busy.  Both are big talkers.  Clementine is full of questions and observations.  "What happens to the food after it goes into your stomach?"  That engenders the mention of poop which is a preschooler's favorite topic because it gets so much attention which is exactly the point.  Cooper talks all the time though what he is saying remains a mystery but he so happily carries on.  His most delightful words are "Thank you" said in the sweetest singsong way.  They get along very well and have some favorite games like pushing each other across the room in the little wagon.



My mom made the trip for 4 days and she and especially Clementine hit it off.  They "read" which was a little tricky because Clementine doesn't read and my mom with her macular degeneration has a hard time reading so they improvised.   She taught Clementine how to play the card game "war" and they had a great time together.  


Meredith is now 20 weeks pregnant and it was fun to see her and get excited about the baby coming in July.  She and Ky are over the moon with excitement and anticipation and with the experience of being Auntie and Uncle to C. and C., they are ready to be parents.  And they will be terrific parents. 

The big event of the trip was Clementine's 4th birthday which was actually her first as she was born on Feb. 29th.  She took off on her new bike and loved her new outfits, most of which were ballerina inspired.   Won't be long before she could be biking in Denmark like all the little kids here.



It was great to see everyone, including friends on Bainbridge, have my hair cut by my regular hairdresser after a disastrous haircut by the Iranian/Danish hairdresser at the corner shop, and go to the dentist because dentistry is outrageously expensive here.  The downside was getting back in the car and driving, driving, driving.  Second time I have driven in 5 1/2 months.  I missed my bike, though in the downpours we experienced in Seattle I was glad I wasn't on my bike.  I came home to sunshine and quite a warm day as you can see.  Very different than the last photo I posted of myself.  Exhausted and jet lagged,  I took a nap on the deck, just like the babies in Denmark  who nap outside in their baby buggies, even on the coldest days under their dynes.  Glad to be back and I realize that I only have 4 more months here.  Time to really appreciate the gift of a year away from work, many responsibilities, yardwork, etc.  We are ready for the many visitors coming in April, May and June.  And July and our return home to greet a new grandchild will be here before we know it.


2 comments:

  1. I love those pictures!!!! Are those from your new camera??? So nice to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are so good and just make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) The one of your mom and Clementine is amazing. These pics are some that your family will look at in future years with laughter and tears of joyful memory. I keep one in my wallet of my brother and I that is similar to the one of Clementine and Coop with the wagon, so it struck a chord. Glad to see you relaxing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete