Monday, December 12, 2011

Min 60th Fødselsdag (Birthday)

Today was my 60th birthday.  Oh yeah.  I am getting older.  I celebrated by going to Danish class.  But first I was feted with raising of the Danish flag by our friends downstairs.  The Danish flag is used as a symbol of celebrations, more than nationalism.  It is traditional to raise the flag on one's birthday.



 Our old upstairs neighbors dropped some poinsettas off for me to open before breakfast.  I went to school, bringing a Danish pastry called a "Christmas Star" for my classmates.  Then at 12 o'clock on 12/12  ( the symmetry is nice), I joined Nhat, Paal and Mona for a birthday luncheon at Ida Davidsen's.  It is an old-fashioned smørrebrød restaurant.  Smørrebrød is the high art of Danish sandwich making with fine ingredients and sculptured toppings.  And all is accompanied by aquavit and beer.



 We spent 4 hours lingering over all of the above, savoring the flavors of the various sandwiches, skåling one another with our beer and snaps and talking in the cozy small restaurant.  It was a delightful way to celebrate my 60th birthday.




 I should feel kind of old, though this year, living in a small apartment with a minumun of belongings,going to class and spending a few hours every morning with 25 year olds making my mouth and tongue do impossible things trying to speak Danish, and living with skinned knees just like a kid after I dumped my bike on slippery cobblestones and train tracks,  I guess I am not too old.  I miss everyone there but am enjoying this time and celebration here.  Who wouldn't be thrilled to be eating smoked salmon and drinking snaps on  a Monday afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday!! Your card is probably late getting to you! Lunch looks great -- wish we could have joined you and toasted our young neighbor's birthday -- you know, the one with the skinned knees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Anne! Your celebration sounds wonderful. Congrats on reaching the best years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey-forgot to sign that! Penny here wishing you a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete